Skip to content
Curtin University
John Curtin Prime Ministerial Library
Curtin University Library

Commemorating John Curtin

John Curtin College of the Arts (Fremantle)

The John Curtin College of the Arts was formerly named the John Curtin High School and was the first government-built secondary school in the south-west metropolitan region. The first building was opened in 1952, the rest of the school was built between 1954 and 1958, and an arts centre was added in 1987.

In 2001, the College was placed on the WA Register of Heritage Places.

Images below show the College reception area and entry signage in 2000, and the original plaque commemorating the naming of John Curtin High School in 1954.

John Curtin College of the Arts, 2000

Entry signage, 2000

Building plaque, 1954