1) Who was prime minister of Australia before John Curtin and what
political party did he lead?
2) How did John Curtin come to be prime minister of Australia?
3) Who signed Australia's Declaration of War on Japan?
4) What event led the United States of America to declare war on
Japan in 1941?
5) Ordinary Australians were fearful of Japanese invasion during
the second world war. Which of the photographs shows this fear most
6) When John Curtin appealed to America to come to Australia's aid
in December 1941, how did US President Roosevelt react?
7) The United States did come to Australia's aid, sending an American
general to command the South West Pacific region. Who was he?
8) American soldiers stationed in Australia during the war years
were generally popular with Australian women. Which of the photographs
below gives the best evidence for this?
9) Who do the characters in the 'Southerly Buster' cartoon represent?
10) Curtin's insistence that Australian troops return home from
the Middle East to defend Australia, in fierce opposition to the wishes
of Winston Churchill, helped make Australia a more independent nation.
This test has been created using the CASTLE